This is list of discounts on software (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, etc.) and other offerings for developers who happen to be students. This list is greatly inspired by the free-for-dev list.
You can help by sending Pull Requests to add more services. Please read the contribution guidelines first. Once I have a good set of links in this README file, I'll look into a better layout for the information and links (help with that is appreciated too).
If you're not inclined to make PRs you can tweet me at @acho_arnold!
Table of Contents¶
Source Code Repos¶
- Bitbucket [FREE] - Free unlimited public and private repositories for academic users and teams.
- GitHub [FREE] - Personal account (normally $7/month) with unlimited private repositories while you're a student.
IDE and Code Editing¶
- JetBrains IDE pack [FREE] - Free professional developer IDEs and tools from JetBrains, including:
- ReSharper Ultimate - Visual Studio Extension
- IntelliJ - JVM based development
- AppCode - iOS/macOS IDE
- CLion - C/C++ IDE
- DataGrip - Database/SQL IDE
- GoLand - Go IDE
- PhpStorm - PHP IDE
- PyCharm - Python IDE
- Rider - .NET IDE
- RubyMine - Ruby IDE
- Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 [FREE] - Tool suite which simplifies the design, development, debug, and tuning of code that utilizes parallel processing to boost application performance. Free for students.
- Xamarin IDE [FREE] - IDE for using C# for iOS, Android, Mac & Windows platforms.
- Bootstrap Studio [FREE] - IDE that creates responsive websites using the Bootstrap framework.
- MATLAB [DISCOUNT] - MATLAB is a high-level technical computing language and interactive environment for algorithm development, data visualization, data analysis, and numerical computation.
- ShiftEdit [DISCOUNT] - ShiftEdit is a powerful online IDE for developing websites. Discount for educations. $750 a year for 50 licenses.
- Repl [FREE] - An online IDE that lets you instantly code in over fifty languages.Hacker plan, includes unlimited private repls and multiplayer invites. Free for one year available via Github Student Developer Pack
- GitPod[FREE] - An online IDE for GitHub that provides a complete dev environment with a single click.Free personal plan subscription for six months for students via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Atom [FREE] - Atom is a free and open-source text and source code editor developed by GitHub (Atom – A Hackable Text and Source Code Editor).
- Tower [DISCOUNT] - Version control with git made easy.
- GitKraken [FREE] - Another free as in price desktop Git client. Based on Electron, runs on Windows, GNU/Linux, and Mac. To claim free 1-year PRO license, you must claim your Github Student Developer Pack and sign in to the desktop client w/ GitHub.
- Sentry [FREE] - Open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time.Also included via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Working Copy[FREE] - Powerful Git client for iOS that clones, edits, commits, pushes.All Pro features for free while you are a student via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Digital Ocean [CREDIT] - Digital Ocean provides $50 in hosting credit for every student that signs up for the Github Student Developer Pack.
- RoseHosting [DISCOUNT] - RoseHosting offers a recurring 20% discount on all their managed Linux VPS and Shared hosting plans when paying monthly. Students can use the discount by applying the coupon code "STUDENT20". Valid for new customers only. Cannot be combined with any other offer.
- SiteGround [DISCOUNT] - $1.99/month instead of $3.95/month on their StartUp plan.
- Education Host [FREE] - Available web-hosting to students in Designer package for free for 1 year & discounted upgrade offers.Available via Github Student Developer Pack.
Design and Photo Editing¶
- Adobe Creative Cloud [DISCOUNT] - Students save big with 60% off Creative Cloud.
- Sketch [DISCOUNT] - 50% off your copy of Sketch when you get an educational license.
- Canva [FREE] - Free 12 month subscription of Canva's Pro tier via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Icons8[FREE] - Icons8 provides design resources: icons, UI illustrations, photos and software to class up your projects. Full 3-month all access subscription with icons, photos, illustrations, and music via [Github Student Developer Pack] (https://education.github.com/pack).
- Figma [FREE] - Receive Professional Team features for free when verified as a student.
- Ip Geolocation [DISCOUNT] - Free for 50K requests and 50% discount on all paid plans for students.
- Taskade - Team Productivity [DISCOUNT] - Students get 50% permanent discount on Taskade Pro subscriptions. Use the coupon code "students50" on checkout and start collaborating on Taskade with team task, notes and chat.
- Notion.so [FREE] Free pro plan on Notion to Write, plan, collaborate, and get organized.
- netlicensing.io [FREE] - A cost-effective and integrated Licensing-as-a-Service (LaaS) solution for your software on any platform from Desktop to IoT and SaaS. Basic Plan for [FREE] while you are a student at GitHub Student Developer Pack.
- Amazon Web Services [FREE] - Access cloud content, training, collaboration tools, and AWS technology at no cost by joining AWS Educate today.
- Google Cloud Platform [TEMPORARILY FREE] - Access Cloud Services and G-Suite either on a trial of 14 days or register for one year through educational license or by card details.
- Heroku[FREE] - A flexible, easy-to-use platform to deploy, run, and manage your apps. One free Hobby Dyno for up to two years via Github Student Developer Pack.
- [Microsoft Azure] (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/students/) - Microsoft Azure is an ever-expanding set of cloud services to help you build, manage, and deploy applications.Level up your ideas by learning cloud computing skills and get a $100 credit with your free Azure for Students account—no credit card required.
- Send Grid [CREDIT] - Student plan 15K free emails/month (normally limited to 200 free emails/day) while you're a student available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Mailgun [FREE] - Powerful APIs that enable you to send, receive and track email effortlessly.20,000 free emails and 100 free email validations each month for up to 12 months , available via Github Student Developer Pack.
CI / CD¶
- Travis CI [FREE] - Private builds (normally $69/month) while you're a student available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- StyleCI [FREE / CREDIT] - Free Student Plan with access to StyleCI for up to five private repositories.
- Semaphore [FREE / DISCOUNT]- Free account for students and educators with a 25% discount for qualifying schools and institutions.
- Stripe [CREDIT] - Web and mobile payments, built for developers. Waived transaction fees on first $1,000 in revenue processed available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Bitnami [FREE] - Install cloud applications in a single click. Business 3 plan (normally $49/month) for one year available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Yellow Circle [FREE] - Offers a free online sandbox for students and teachers at all levels to learn and practice IT, networking, and programming skills by creating and configuring virtual routers, virtual machines, and virtual firewalls, load-balancers, and storage devices.
- Orchestrate [FREE] - Orchestrate is a complete database portfolio that includes search, time-series events, geolocation and graph queries through an API. You can host your data on a public cloud, such as in CenturyLink data centers, or use Orchestrate Enterprise’s dedicated clusters. Github Student Developer Pack members receive a free developer account (normally $49/month).
- Vertabelo [FREE] - Fully-featured online tool for database design. Free for Educational Purposes.
- Mapbox [CREDIT] - A mapping platform for developers. 5 GB of storage for your own custom data.
- Transifex [FREE / CREDIT]- A localization platform for translating digital content. 1 Free Year worth $99/month available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Crowdin[FREE] - Crowdin is a cloud-based solution that streamlines localization management.Bronze plan for 1 year available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- HackHands [CREDIT]- Live programming help available 24/7. $25 in platform credit to students via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Evernote [DISCOUNT] - Capture, organize, and share notes from anywhere. Get 50% off a full year of Evernote Premium.
- Covalence[FREE] - Join an exclusive developer community and learn Full Stack web-development with no long-term commitments.One free month of Covalence's Atomic Plan and two 1-on-1 mentoring sessions via Github Student Developer Pack.
Domain Name Registers¶
- NameCheap [FREE/DISCOUNT] - One year domain name registration on the .me TLD, and deeply discounted registrations on .io, .tech, .com, and .website. Inludes optional free year of hosted Ghost blogging platform or Exposure photo website.
- .tech [DISCOUNT] - One year registration on .tech TLD for $0.99, with free renewals for referrals.
- name.com[FREE] - Domain names, web hosting, and websites. One free domain name and free Advanced Security (SSL, privacy protection, and more) via Github Student Developer Pack.
- NameCheap [DISCOUNT] - One year SSL certificate (normally $9/year) via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Shodan [FREE / CREDIT] - Free upgrade (normally 49$) to gain full access to everything shodan has to offer + 100 Export credits. Simply use your academic email address when you signup.
Software Modeling Tools¶
- Astah [FREE] - One Year Professional License
- Axure RP [FREE] - Free educational license of Axure RP Pro
- Vertabelo [FREE] - Visual database design online. 100% free academic accounts for students and lecturers who are learning or teaching database modeling.
- Invision [FREE] - Prototyping and Mockup tool
- Framer [DISCOUNT] - Prototyping tool. 50% off when you get an educational license.
- Vaadin [FREE] - Best open source Java framework for building Progressive Web Applications.Free Pro subscription license to access the commercial components and tools via Github Student Developer Pack.
- CartoDB [FREE / DISCOUNT] - Additional space & features for free accounts or 20% discount on paid accounts.
- Tableau Desktop [FREE] - One Year Professional License for Students.
- SAS University Edition and SAS OnDemand Academic [FREE] - The SAS University Edition is distributed as a virtual appliance for VirtualBox/VMWare. It runs in NAT mode on the prepackaged VM and hosts SAS Studio for use with a browser on the host computer. SAS OnDemand hosts SAS Studio for use in the cloud without installation. Both are free for students and teachers at any level.
Game Development Tools¶
- Unity3D [FREE] - Unity is one of the world's most widely used game engines. It has created industry standards in 3D interactive content design for game development, architectural visualizations, military simulations, advertising and more. Students are offered a yearly license of $100 USD.
- Unreal Game Engine [FREE] - Unreal Engine 4 is a complete suite of game development tools. From 2D mobile games to console blockbusters and VR, Unreal Engine 4 gives you everything you need to start, ship, grow and stand out from the crowd. Part of the Github Student Developer Pack
3D Animation and Modeling Software¶
- Autodesk Software [FREE] - The Free Autodesk Education License includes Autodesk Maya, 3DS MAX, Softimage, Motion Builder, Mudbox, Inventor Professional...
- 1Password - [FREE] 6 months of a 1Password account free. ($3/month thereafter using Personal account)
- Dashlane [FREE] - 1 year of free Dashlane Premium for Students, offer for new and existing users with eligible student emails ($3.33/month thereafter)
- LastPass [FREE] - Enjoy 6 months of LastPass Premium to help you manage your online life at school!
- RoboForm [FREE] - Free for students and professors with a valid college or university email address for the first year ($12/year thereafter)
- Datadog [FREE] - 2-Year License for a Datadog Pro account, good for monitoring 10 servers. Part of the Github Student Developer Pack
- HoneyBadger[FREE] - Exception, uptime, and cron monitoring.Free Small account for 1 year available via Github Student Developer Pack.
- LogDNA[FREE] - Log management platform that offers aggregation, monitoring, and analysis of server and application logs at any volume, from any source.Up to 50 GB/month of log storage with 14 day retention for one year via Github Student Developer Pack.
- Microsoft Imagine (formerly DreamSpark) [FREE / DISCOUNT] - Imagine is a Microsoft program that supports technical education by providing access to Microsoft software for learning, teaching and research purposes. Currently includes SQL Server 2012, 2014, and 2016; Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, and 2016 in DataCenter, Standard, and Essentials and Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro. Also offers a free Azure App service plan (no credit card). Most students are also eligible for a free Windows 10 license through their school's OnTheHub WebStore.
- Microsoft Office 365 Education [FREE] - Free access to Microsoft Office 365 software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Teams for students and teachers.
- Intel Tools for Students [FREE] - Free access to the select Intel® Software Development Products, including: Intel® XDK, Intel® Video Pro Analyzer, Intel® System Studio, Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition and Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition (includes Fortran and C/C++).
- IBM Student Developer Community [FREE] - Get easy access to the tools you need to develop the next great thing. Enjoy powerful technical and strategic resources from IBM.
- Figure Eight [FREE] - CrowdFlower is now Figure Eight.Figure Eight is the essential Human-in-the-Loop AI platform for data science & machine learning teams.
- Exploratory [FREE] - Exploratory’s Simple UI experience makes it possible for Anyone to use the latest and the most advanced innovation in Data Science to discover deep insights.Student Registration Available for pricing.
- Association of Computing Machinery with Digital Library [DISCOUNT] - Normally access to ACM and their Digital Library cost $198 USD a year, however, current IT and Computer Science students can get access for just $42 USD a year. The digital library grants access to O'Reilly's Online Learning platform which normally cost $39 USD a month. O'Reilly's Online Learning platform is like Netflix for learning material with books and video courses from publishers such as Pearson, O'Reilly, No Starch Press and much more.
- [Flatiron School] (https://flatironschool.com/github-student-pack/) [FREE] - Learn Web Development from the premier coding bootcamp for launching developers. This is an amazing course if you want to go step-by-step. Free one-month membership to Community-Powered Bootcamp.
- [Thinkful] (https://www.thinkful.com/github-student-developer-pack/) [FREE] - Learn Fundamentals of Web Development to launch your career as a developer.1 month of access to a web development course.
To the extent possible under law, Acho Arnold has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.