Connectivity Data and Reports
Inspired by Sindre Sorhus's awesome list of awesome lists
A list of connectivity indexes, maps, and reports to help you better under who has access to communication infrastructure and on what terms. All info in the public domain.
Global Connectivity Indexes¶
- GSMA Mobile Connectivity Index - (2018) Measures countries against four enablers of mobile internet adoption: Infrastructure, Affordability, Consumer Readiness and Content.
- A4AI Affordability Drivers Index - (2017) Index of internet affordability by the Alliance for Affordable Internet Access (A4AI).
- A4AI Mobile Broadband Data Costs - (Q4 2018) (2017) Price of Broadband Data (1GB mobile prepaid) as % of GNI per capita.
- Facebook/EIU Inclusive Internet Index - (2019) Index measuring internet connectivity against Availability, Affordability, Relevance and Readiness.
- Huawei Global Connectivity Index - (2017) Snapshot of 50 nations’ "Digital Transformation" status measured against Supply, Demand, Experience and Potential.
- Cisco Visual Networking Index - Forecast and Trends, 2017–2022 White Paper.
- ITU Broadband Atlas - (2010) Interactive infographic tool showcasing the status of broadband deployment worldwide and the regulatory landscape for broadband.
- InternetLiveStats - (2016) Internet Users by Country, interpolated from ITU, United Nations Population Division, Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), and World Bank data.
- Internet World Stats - Internet users compiled from Nielsen and ITU statistics.
- ITU ICT Development Index - (2017) Composite index based on three pillars, ICT Access, ICT Use, and ICT Skills.
- World Economic Forum - Networked Readiness Index - (2016).
- UN E-Government Knowledge Database - (2016).
- BCG e-Intensity Index - (2015) Index developed by Boston Consulting Group looking at the maturity of 85 Internet economies based on three vectors: Enablement, Engagement, and Expenditure.
- Speedtest Global Index - (2018) Index of mobile and fixed broadband speeds from around the world on a monthly basis.
- cable.co.uk's Worldwide Broadband Price Comparison - (2019) (2018) Index of broadband costs around the world based on fixed line/wireless access.
- African Undersea Cables - Steve Song's map of African undersea fibre optic cables.
- African Terrestrial Fibre Optic Infrastructure - Map of African terrestrial fibre networks, Creative Commons, Open Data.
- Africa Bandwidth Maps - Paul Hamilton's map of African terrestrial fibre and microwave networks.
- Telegeography Submarine Cable Map - Interactive submarine fibre optic cables.
- Telegeography 2018 Submarine Cable Map - (2018) Online of submarine fibre optic cables also available for purchase.
- Greg's Cable Map
- ITU Interactive Transmission Map - Online map of terrestrial fibre and microwave networks from ITU.
- GSMA Mobile Coverage Maps @ Mobile World Live - Somewhat dated but still useful map of mobile network coverage on country by country basis.
- Hurricane Electric 3D map - Interactive 3D map of undersea cables and Hurrican Electric Points of Presence (POPs) and routes.
- GSMA Mobile Network Coverage Maps - (2019) Most accurate mobile coverage maps available, currently covers Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, and Zambia.
- nperf Mobile coverage maps - mobile coverage based on data collected from nperf app.
Periodic Global Connectivity Reports¶
- Mozilla Internet Health Report - (2019) (2018).
- GSMA Mobile Economy - 2019 pdf 2018 pdf.
- Broadband Commission: The State of Broadband (2019)(2018) (2017)
- ITU Measuring the Information Society - (2018) (2017)
- GSMA - State of Mobile Internet Connectivity (2019) (2018)
- ITU Facts and Figures - (2019) (2017).
- Ericsson Mobility Report - November 2019 November 2018 June 2018.
- Deloitte - Global mobile consumer trends (2017)
- A4AI Affordability Report - (2019) (2018) (2017).
- Opera State of the Mobile Web - (2016) A report based on Opera Mobile browser use.
- Akamai State of the Internet / Connectivity Report - (Q1 2017) Report on connectivity from large CDN company.
- World Economic Forum - Global Information Technology Report - (2016) Examines the role of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in driving innovation and includes Network Readiness Index.
- UN E-Government Survey 2018 2016 - Global E–Government and E-Participation Development Index.
- OECD Broadband Portal - Latest data update: 9 July 2019.
- AfterAccess - Mobile & Internet Use in the Global South - Infographic highlights of nationally representative surveys of ICT access and use by households and individuals in the public domain in 16 developing countries of the Global South.
Regional Connectivity Reports and Data¶
- GSMA Mobile Economy - West Africa (2019)
- GSMA Mobile Economy - Sub-Saharan Africa (2018)
- GSMA Mobile Economy - Latin America (2018)
- African Telecommunications Infrastructure Development @manypossibilities.net (2019)
- RIA Africa Mobile Pricing (RAMP) Indices Portal - (Q3 2018) Pricing information on Voice/SMS basket, 1GB data basket, and Value For Money bundles.
- GSMA Mobile Economy - Africa (2016)
- Opera - State of the Mobile Web Africa - 2016.
- Ericsson Mobility Report - Sub-Saharan Africa (2015)
- Open Signal - State of Mobile Networks Reports - Report covers a potpourri of countries based on OpenSignal data gathering.
- Lions go digital: The Internet’s transformative potential in Africa - (2013) Report by global consulting firm McKinsey on the potential impact of the Internet in Africa.
- GSMA - Enabling Rural Coverage - (Feb 2018) Regulatory and policy recommendations to foster mobile broadband coverage in developing countries.
- Facebook Audience Insights - Demographic information on Facebook usage.
- SimilarWeb - Mobile App Ranking - Ranking of popular mobile apps across countries.
- Global Stats by StatCounter - Browser market share over time by browser, region, OS.
- Global Mobile Suppliers Association - Various reports on LTE and 5G adoption.
- Social Bakers Regional Reports - Country reports on social media use.
- CIESIN Earth Institute - High Resolution Settlement Layer GIS data - HRSL datasets offering unprecedented accuracy in population mapping.
- Kleiner Perkins Mary Meeker Internet Trends Report - (May 2018) Trends that affect and drive internet uptake globally.
- WEF Internet for All - (2016) A Framework for Accelerating Internet Access and Adoption.
- M-Lab Visualization Platform - M-Lab is an open, verifiable measurement platform for global network performance.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure's Internet Intelligence Map - Interactive map reporting issues that impact the performance of the Internet.
- LTE, WiMAX, HSPA+, 3G, GSM information by country - Reasonably up-to-date list of mobile networks around the world and their associated frequencies.
To the extent possible under law, Steve Song has waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.