Wardley Maps ¶
Wardley Mapping is a technique that helps you examine your environment, identify upcoming changes and properly choose your actions. By examining what is needed, what components will be in use, what are their dependencies and characteristics, you can build a visual representation of your world, play what-if games, and pick your direction and best actions to support it.
- Investing in innovation - How situational awareness can put your business on the map (5:51).
- My basics for business strategy - In 11 diagrams by Simon Wardley.
- Wardley Mapping Forum - A place to discuss everything connected with Wardley Maps.
- mapcamp.slack.com - Join Map Camp on Slack here.
- LinkedIn Group - Wardley Maps Community.
- Mapping Maps Newsletter - Subscribe here. Newsletter archive.
- #WardleyMaps - Join the conversation.
- Wardley maps - Topographical intelligence in business - Creative Commons book by Simon Wardley.
- PDF and .mobi e-book (Kindle) downloads.
- Wardleypedia - A Wiki Encyclopedia dedicated to the strategy mapping techniques pioneered by Simon Wardley.
- Wardley map - Wikipedia entry.
- Bits or pieces? - Simon Wardley's blog.
- Wardley Maps - Community YouTube channel and playlists.
- Getting Strategic on Peace and Justice - A visually beautiful and engaging animation by Sue Borchardt (5:39).
- Map Camp London 2019 - Watch presentations and video recordings on InfoQ.
- Wardley Mapping - Learn how to stimulate future ideas and strategies with the Leading Edge Forum.
- LearnWardleyMapping.com - Video chapter summaries of Simon Wardley's book, 15-minute introductory course, and a quick reference.
Maps in the Wild¶
Blog posts and other interesting examples of Wardley maps. Ordered by date, newest first.
- Mapping Alignment - Looking across teams and strata in an organisation and the practices used to meet organisational needs like alignment, reporting, etc. Feb 9, 2020.
- Blockchain brokers trust in a fragmented world - Wardley mapping shows blockchain is following the same maturity evolution as other mainstream technologies. 28 Jan, 2020.
- Structural Deepening - Using Wardley maps to look at the evolution of the jet engine. Jan 5, 2020.
- Embedded in memory - Cultural cycles. Oct 2, 2019.
- Exploring value - Values, resilience, principles, enablement systems. Oct 1, 2019.
- From values to rituals - Sep 9, 2019.
- Exploring Brexit - The first rule of Brexit is “you’re wrong”. Sep 5, 2019.
- Exploring Culture - Mapping Culture. Sep 4, 2019.
- What culture is right for you? - Jul 31, 2019.
- An illustration from Gerstner's book - Part 2 - Mapping "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance" by Louis Gerstner. Jun 18, 2019.
- Mapping Crypto: Common Pitfalls - Mapping the challenges of launching novel payment solutions. Jun 14, 2019.
- Mapping Crypto: A Primer - Understanding the crypto ecosystem through Wardley maps. Jun 2, 2019.
- Plotting a path to a greener web with Wardley mapping - The Green Web Foundation. Mar 20, 2019.
- UN Global Platform - Handbook on Information Technology Strategy - Covers the development of your IT strategy using Wardley Maps to predict the future, understand which methodologies are best suited to developing and delivery information management systems. Download the Wardley map source files used to create the Handbook on IT Strategy. Mar 13, 2019.
- UN Privacy Preserving Techniques Handbook - Two use cases: giving NSOs access to new sources of (sensitive) Big Data; and enabling Big Data Collaborations Across Multiple NSO. Download Wardley maps slide deck. Mar 12, 2019.
- Burja Mapping - Combines Samo Burja's Empire Theory with a form of mapping similar to that pioneered by Simon Wardley. Jan 2, 2019.
- Research heresies - Three ways to think about user needs and user research and how Wardley maps can help us think about where to do user research. Nov 2, 2018.
- What is an expert? - Oct 31, 2018.
- Rebooting GDS - How to stop the organisation from actively harming itself by focusing on doctrine and spend control. Oct 30, 2018.
- A Platform Design Example Explained - Exploring and designing a platform in the renewable energy context. Oct 28, 2019.
- Understanding Platforms through Value Chain Maps - Why is a Platforms' Wardley (Value Chain) Map Z-Shaped? Oct 11, 2018.
- Healthcare information technology strategy - How can we make best use of technology to support healthcare? Jul 19, 2018.
- Mapping Maturity - Context specific maturity models with Wardley maps informed by Cynefin. May 11, 2018.
- A mechanism for building a roadmap - Using a Wardley map to build a roadmap. Jan 9, 2018.
- Uber, the not so disrupting disruptor? - Sep 11, 2017.
- Blue pill or red pill? - Doctrine and doctrine phases. May 25, 2017.
- Is my diagram a map? - May 12, 2017.
- Designing for constant evolution - Pioneer, Settler and Town Planner (Wardley PST). Jan 31, 2017.
- Near field, far field and the crazy ideas - My future career as a Harmony Designer. Jan 17, 2017.
- Thank you Amazon. Boom! Everything in business will change - Dec 3, 2016.
- Something that will change the world of competition - Dec 1, 2016.
- Amazon is eating the software (which is eating the world) - Nov 30, 2016.
- The map is not the territory - Nov 24, 2016.
- Why the fuss about serverless? - Evolution and co-evolution of architectural practice and worth based development. Nov 23, 2016.
- Building Situational Awareness in the Age of Service Ecosystems - Pujadas, R; Thompson, M; Venters, W; et al. March 2019.
- Mapping Practice Papers - A series of position papers published by the Leading Edge Forum. Jun 13, 2018 - Jan 28, 2019.
- Wardley Mapping Tools and Techniques - A semi-serious reflection on the problem space of tools for mapping, and an overview of all sorts of mapping tools and techniques.
- Wardley Maps in draw.io - How-to guide with animations and a collection of open source Wardley map icons.
- wardley-omnigraffle - Wardley mapping stencils for OmniGraffle.
- Wardley Maps in LaTeX - Figures 8 and 11 from the book by Simon Wardley to demonstrate drawing Wardley maps in LaTeX.
- Figma Mapping Template - A mapping template for Figma.
- Miro Wardley Mapping Template - How-to guide on mapping using this template.
- yEd Palette - Wardley maps palette for yEd.
- Doctrine Grid Tool - Based on Google Forms and Google Sheets.
- Atlas2 - Open source mapping tool. Hosted version available here.
- OnlineWardleyMaps - Online open source mapping tool. Hosted version available here.
- MapScript - ⚠️ Observable Terms of Service. MapScript feature requests. Hosted version available here.
- Doctrine - A simple tool for visualising how competitive a company is in light of Wardley's doctrine. Hosted version available here.
- Wardley Maps Battle Camp - Workshop rules, cards and materials.
- Montreal. Reach out via mapcamp.slack.com in the #canada channel, we don't have an official meetup group yet.
- Czech Republic
To the extent possible under law, the Wardley Maps Community has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.