Wardley Maps ¶
Wardley Mapping is a technique that helps you examine your environment, identify upcoming changes and properly choose your actions. By examining what is needed, what components will be in use, what are their dependencies and characteristics, you can build a visual representation of your world, play what-if games, and pick your direction and best actions to support it.
This is a list of useful Wardley mapping resources. Contributions welcome! Read the contribution guidelines first.
- Wardley Mapping Forum - A place to discuss everything connected with Wardley Maps.
- mapcamp.slack.com - Join Map Camp on Slack here.
- LinkedIn Group - Wardley Maps Community.
Resources for learning Wardley maps.
- Wardley maps - Topographical intelligence in business - Creative Commons book by Simon Wardley.
- Mapping Glossary
- Wardleypedia - A Wiki Encyclopedia dedicated to the strategy mapping techniques pioneered by Simon Wardley.
- Wardley map - Wikipedia entry.
- Wardley Mapping - Learn how to stimulate future ideas and strategies with the Leading Edge Forum.
- LearnWardleyMapping.com - Video chapter summaries of Simon Wardley's book, 15-minute introductory course, and a quick reference.
Maps in the Wild¶
Blog posts and other interesting examples of Wardley maps and deriatives.
- Bits or pieces? - Simon Wardley's blog.
- UN Global Platform - Handbook on Information Technology Strategy - Covers the development of your IT strategy using Wardley Maps to predict the future, understand which methodologies are best suited to developing and delivery information management systems. Download the Wardley map source files used to create the Handbook on IT Strategy.
- UN Privacy Preserving Techniques Handbook - Two use cases: giving NSOs access to new sources of (sensitive) Big Data; and enabling Big Data Collaborations Across Multiple NSO. Download Wardley maps slide deck.
- Mapping Maturity - Context specific maturity models with Wardley maps informed by Cynefin.
- Burja Mapping - Combines Samo Burja's Empire Theory with a form of mapping similar to that pioneered by Simon Wardley.
- Building Situational Awareness in the Age of Service Ecosystems - Pujadas, R; Thompson, M; Venters, W; et al. March 2019.
- Mapping Practice Papers - A series of position papers published by the Leading Edge Forum.
Tools and Templates¶
- Wardley Mapping Tools and Techniques - A semi-serious reflection on the problem space of tools for mapping, and then a fun overview of all sorts of mapping tools and techniques, informed by discussion and sharing that took place at the inaugural Map Camp.
- Atlas2 - Open source mapping tool. Hosted version available here.
- Wardley Maps in draw.io - How-to guide with animations and a collection of open source Wardley map icons.
- wardley-omnigraffle - Wardley mapping stencils for OmniGraffle.
- Wardley Maps in LaTeX - Figures 8 and 11 from the book by Simon Wardley to demonstrate drawing Wardley Maps in LaTeX.
- Figma Mapping Template - A mapping template for Figma.
- RealtimeBoard (Miro) Wardley Mapping Template - How-to Guide on mapping using this template.
- yEd Palette - Wardley maps palette for yEd.
- Wardley Mapping in Belgium - IRL Meetups on Belgian territory
- Wardley Mapping in Belgrade, Serbia - IRL Meetups in Belgrade, Serbia
- Wardley Mapping in Cologne, Germany - IRL Meetups in Cologne, Germany
- Wardley Mapping in Hamburg, Germany - IRL Meetups in Hamburg, Germany
- Wardley Mapping in Munich, Germany - IRL Meetups in Munich, Germany
- Wardley Maps Battle Camp - Workshop rules, cards and materials.
To the extent possible under law, the Wardley Maps Community has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.