Awesome Chess ¶
A curated list of assets availible on the Internet related to chess.
Kindly go through Contribution Guidelines first.
Books to read on chess.
- Chess Problems - Collection of chess puzzles.
- Chess strategy - HTML version of chess strategy by Edward Lasker.
- Sicilian Dragon - Attacking plans for black.
Forsyth–Edwards Notation (FEN) is a standard notation for describing a particular board position of a chess game.
- fenparser by tlehman - A parser for Forsyth-Edwards Notation wriitten in Python.
- fen by ucarion - A Rust Forsyth-Edwards notation parser with proper error handling.
Bots are algorithms involving artificial intelligence to play against a user.
Validators are tools for checking authenticity of a move.
- chess.js - chess.js, Structured code for chess authentication.
- npm chess package - An algebraic notation driven chess engine that can validate board position and produce a list of viable moves.
- Chessnut - Chessnut is a simple chess board model written in Python. It provides functionality of parsing FEN and generating a list of legal moves for each FEN representation.
Websites include platforms for people to play chess.
- multiplayerchess.com - A simple single page chess playing application facilitating the play of chess.
- lichess.org - One of the most mature platforms for playing chess on the internet. It is open source too. It is equipped with daily puzzles and an TV to spectate other matches.
- chess24.com - Play as well as learn chess from chess24 with the best of tutorials.
- chessbase.com - Lucrative, single page application for playing chess.
- chess.com - Learn and play chess with over 5 million other users.
- chesscademy.com - Watch videos, solve puzzles, and play games. All for free. (Works similar to Khan Academy.)
- chesstempo.com - Online chess tactics training site.
- chessprogramming.wikispaces.com - Repository of information about programming computers to play chess.
- freechess.org - The 'Free Internet Chess Server' (FICS) is one of the oldest Internet chess servers. There are lots of client applications for almost every device, operation system or webbrowser available.
Boards are tools for encapsulating the process of rendering a board.
- chess-board - A web component for displaying chess positions. It takes FEN string as input and renders the board as output.
Notations are a way of expressing the properties of the board in textual format. Tutorial on Chess Notations.
- FEN - A FEN "record" defines a particular game position, all in one text line and using only the ASCII character set.
- PNG - PGN is structured "for easy reading and writing by human users and for easy parsing and generation by computer programs."
- Other Notations
This includes the tools for getting artwork for various pieces of chess.
- Spiral Pieces in 3-D
- Pieces on Wikipedia
- Chess Pieces in Unicode
- Icons on flaticons
- Icons on thenounproject
Talks on chess.
- Understanding Chess Mastery -Talk on understanding chess mastery by Jennifer Shahade.
- How Chess Can Revolutionize Learning - Talk on how chess can revolutionize learning by Cody Pomeranz.
- Working backward to solve problems - Talk on working backward to solve problems by Maurice Ashley
- Chess Life
- Why Chess is Boring - Talk on why chess is boring by Bobby Fischer
- Chess Peeps