Awesome GNOME ¶
A curated list of awesome apps, extensions, modules, themes and tools for the GNOME Desktop Environment.
Items marked with are applications officially maintained and distributed by the GNOME Project as part of the core set of applications and tools, or extensions that are maintained and distributed as part of the Classic mode.
Items marked with are applications championned by the GNOME Circle iniative that aim to showcase the best apps and libraries for GNOME.
Internet and Networking¶
- GNOME Web - Official web browser project of GNOME.
- Fragments - BitTorrent client.
- Newsflash - RSS feeds reader.
- Font Downloader - Get fonts from Google Font.
- Tangram - Group your webapps into a single application.
- Eolie - Web browser that uses vertical tabs.
- Midori - Lightweight and fast web browser.
- Geary - Modern mail client, created originally by Yorba.
- Feeds - An RSS/Atom feed reader.
- Cawbird - Twitter client.
- Jami - Client for Jami, a secure communication tool.
- Haguichi - Graphical frontend for Hamachi.
- Apostrophe - Distraction-free Markdown editor.
- NFO Viewer - Simple viewer for NFO files, beating text editors with preset font and encoding settings and clickable hyperlink support.
- Paperwork - Personal document manager for scanned documents and PDFs.
- Foliate - Simple and modern eBook reader.
- Pdftag - Simple metadata editor for PDFs.
- PDF Slicer - Simple application to extract, merge, rotate and reorder pages of PDF documents.
- Marker - Markdown editor with an integrated previewer.
Productivity and Time¶
- GNOME Todo - Minimal task manager.
- Solanum - Balance working time and break time.
- GTimeLog - Simple app for keeping track of time.
- Gnome Pomodoro - Simple pomodoro timer.
- Timetrack - Time tracker.
- Shortwave - Client for web-based radio.
- Cozy - Audiobook player.
- Video Trimer - Trim video quickly.
- Nuvola Player - Runtime for web-based music streaming services providing a more native user experience and integration with Linux desktop environments.
- Vocal - Powerful, beautiful, and simple podcast client for the modern free desktop.
- Celluloid - Simple frontend for mpv.
- Lollypop - Beautiful music application.
- Parlatype - Audio player specialized for transcription.
- Pulseeffect - Provides limiter, compressor, reverberation, equalizer and auto volume effects for PulseAudio applications.
- Curlew - Multimedia converter.
- Pitivi - Beautiful and powerful video editor.
- Podcasts - Listen to your favourite podcasts.
- Spot - Spotify Client.
- Clapper - Simple and modern media player.
- Curtail - Simple & useful image compressor.
- Drawing - Responsive drawing application.
- Identity - Compare image and video.
- Coulr - Convert between RGB and hexadecimal codes for colours.
- Color Picker - Color pickle, working on both X11 and Wayland.
- GThumb - Powerful and advanced application to manage your photos and images.
- Lutris - Open Source gaming platform.
- GNOME Games - Game launcher and an emulation frontend to libretro.
System and Customization¶
- Pika Backup - Simple backups based on borg.
- Déjà Dup Backups - Simple backups tool.
- GNOME Tweaks - Graphical interface for advanced GNOME settings.
- Tilix - Tiling terminal emulator.
- Menulibre - Manage your applications categories if you use a traditional application menu like Arc or the Application Menu.
- HydraPaper - Set a different background for each monitor.
- Dynamic Wallpaper Editor - Utility for editing GNOME's XML wallpapers
- Unifydmin - Unified administration panel for heterogeneous Linux servers.
- Dialect - Translate text.
- Markets - Stock, currency and cryptocurrency tracker.
- GPaste - Clipboard manager (composed of an application and a gnome-shell extension).
- Peek - Simple screen recorder that saves your recording as a GIF.
- Catfish - Simple search application.
- Detwinner - Simple and fast tool for removing duplicate files.
- Recipes - Cooking application.
- RecApp - User friendly Open Source screencaster.
- Sunflower - Small and highly customizable twin-panel file manager.
- Kooha - A simple screen recorder.
Security and Privacy¶
- Obfuscate - Censor private information.
- Metadata Cleaner - View and clean metadata in files.
- Password Safe - Keepass-compatible password manager.
- Passbook - Password manager compatible with freedesktop secrets.
Development and Design¶
- GNOME Builder - Official IDE for creating GNOME applications.
- Gaphor - The simple modeling tool for UML and SysML.
- Webfont Kit Generator - Create @font-face kits easily.
- GNOMIT - Simple Git commit message editor.
- Icon Preview - Simple utility to preview icons.
- Palette - Tool for viewing the GNOME colour palette.
- Contrast - Checks the contrast between two colors.
- Icon Library - Find the right icon to use on your GNOME application.
- Boxes - View, access, and manage remote and virtual systems.
Third-party Apps Plugins¶
- Firefox GNOME Theme - Integrate Firefox into GNOME-based desktop using Adwaita.
- Nautilus Terminal - Integrates a terminal into Nautilus.
- Dash-to-Panel - Make your desktop more similar to W7/KDE.
- Places and Files Direct Access - Access your places and files directly on your desktop.
- Notes - Customizable sticky notes.
- Application Menu - Category-based menu for applications.
- Places Indicator - Menu that provides fast access to your folders.
- Arc Menu - Windows7-like application menu inspired by the one in Zorin OS.
- Caffeine - Applet that let you deactivate the GNOME lock screen.
- Removable Drive Menu - Status menu to show your removable drives.
- OpenWeather - Weather applet.
- Focusli - Ambient noise applet.
- Clipboard Indicator - Simple clipboard applet.
- Desk Changer - Wallpaper slideshow applet.
- Emoji Selector - Emoji picker applet.
- Todo.txt - Interface for todo.txt.
- Time ++ - A todo.txt manager, time tracker, timer, stopwatch, pomodoro, and alarm clock.
- GSConnect - KDE Connect implementation.
- Docker Integration - An extension for managing docker containers
- KStatusNotifiers/AppIndicator Support - Appindicator systray.
- Extensions Sync - Syncs gnome shell keybindings, tweaks settings and extensions with their configuration across all gnome installations.
- PaperWM - Tiled scrollable window management.
Docks and Panels¶
- Dash-to-Dock - A fully-featured dock.
- Application Volume Mixer - Control volume output per-application.
- Sound Input & Output Device Chooser - Quickly switch between different input and output devices.
- Custom Hot Corners - Customize hot corners on every screen and every corner.
- Multi Monitors Add-On - Adds a top panel and workspace overview to every monitor.
- Simple Off Menu - Removes selected power options from system menu.
- Coverflow Alt-Tab - Advanced fullscreen app switcher.
- Blyr - Apply a blur effect to the overview and top panel background.
- Transparent Shell - Makes some UI elements transparent.
- Compiz alike windows effect - Adds wobbly effects to windows.
- GMail Message Tray - Integrate GMail with your desktop.
Look and Feel¶
Note: GNOME doesn't officially support theming, and custom gtk stylesheet cannot be tested with every application ever. It means that some applications might have problems with some of the themes here. You can change the GTK theme with command-line, dconf or Tweaks, but it also means that the pieces are for you to keep if anything breaks :)
- Oomox - Generates different color variations of Numix and Materia themes.
Themes that extend the upstream theming, or that are compliant to it.
- Yaru - Ubuntu's official community-made style. (GTK, Shell)
- Pop - Official theme of Pop!_OS by System76. (GTK, Shell)
- Materia - Material Design-like theme. (GTK, Shell)
- Vimix - A flat Material Design theme. (GTK, Shell)
- Plata - A Gtk theme based on Material Design Refresh. (GTK, Shell)
- Arc - Flat theme with transparent elements. (GTK, Shell)
- Numix - Popular flat semi-dark theme with an orange touch. (GTK)
- Zukitre - Flat grey theme, part of the zuki-theme suite. (GTK, works with Zuki-Shell for the shell theme)
- Greybird - Official Xubuntu theme. (GTK)
- Zukitwo - Skeumorphic grey theme, part of the zuki-theme suite. (GTK, works with Zuki-Shell for the shell theme).
- GNOME++ - Third-party application icons compatible with GNOME's current guidelines.
- Pop! - Official icon theme of Pop!_OS by System76.
- La Capitaine - Icon inspired by macOS and Material Design guidelines.
- Obsidian - Continuation of the famous Faenza theme.
- Numix Circle - Flat rounded icon theme.
- Numix Square - Flat square icon theme.
- Elementary XFCE - Desktop-agnostic version of the icons of elementary OS.
- ComixCursors - X11 mouse theme with a comics feeling.
- Bibata - Silm material-based cursor theme.
- Capitaine Cursors - An x-cursor theme inspired by macOS and based on KDE Breeze. Designed to be paired with La Capitaine icons.
- GNOME News Feed - Official news posts.
- Planet GNOME - Federation of GNOME Developers' blogs
- GNOME's Discourse
- GNOME Wiki
#gnomeon GIMPNet - General-purpose GNOME IRC channel (complete list of channels)
GNOME on Social Networks¶
- libadwaita - Library that contain official GNOME patterns and widgets (GTK4)
- libdazzle - Companion library to GObject and Gtk+, providing various new features. (GTK3)
- libhandy - Building blocks for modern adaptive GNOME apps (GTK3)
- Hello - Set of Hello World examples for GNOME/GTK in different languages.
- GNOME Newcomers Wiki - Perfect place to start contributing to GNOME.
- GNOME Developer Center - Contains all the official GNOME documentations.
- GTK Documentation - Official GTK documentation.
- Valadoc - Documentation about Vala.
- GJS Guide - Guide for GJS.
- The Python GTK+ 3 Tutorial - Introduction to writing GTK+ 3 applications in Python.