Awesome PowerShell ¶
A curated list of delightful PowerShell packages and resources.
PowerShell is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, and macOS) automation and configuration tool that is optimized for dealing with structured data (e.g. JSON, CSV, XML, etc.), REST APIs, and object models. It includes a command-line shell and an associated scripting language.
- HipChatAdmin - A module for simple integration with Atlassian HipChat via the HipChat API.
- PSGitHub - This PowerShell module contains commands to manage GitHub through its REST API.
- Posh-Github - Powershell cmdlets that expose the GitHub API.
- Posh-Gist - PowerShell cmdlets for interacting with GitHub Gist.
- PSGist - A PowerShell module to work with GitHub Gists.
- PSAppVeyor - A PowerShell Module to interact with the AppVeyor REST Api.
- PSSlack - PowerShell module for simple Slack integration.
- ConfluencePS - A module for interacting with Atlassian's Confluence in powershell (by using the API).
- JiraPS - A module for interacting with Atlassian's Jira in powershell (by using the API).
- PSTelegramAPI - PowerShell Module for Telegram APIs
- PSTeams - PowerShell module for sending formatted messages to a Microsoft Teams Channel.
- Windows PowerShell Blog - Official PowerShell Team Blog.
- Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog - Popular Microsoft blog.
- Learn Powershell | Achieve More - Personal blog of Boe Prox who moderated for the Scripting Guy.
- PowerShellMagazine - Awesome magazine.
- PowerShellExplained - Personal blog of Kevin Marquette
- Doug Finke - Author of PowerShell for Developers.
- Mike F. Robbins - Microsoft MVP. SAPIEN Tech MVP. Co-author of Windows PowerShell TFM 4th Edition.
- Exploring PowerShell Automation - a free eBook sampler that gives you an overview of how to administer your environment.
- PowerShell in Depth - The go-to reference for administrators. Every major shell technique, technology, and tactic is explained and demonstrated, providing a comprehensive reference to almost everything an admin would do in the shell.
- Windows PowerShell in Action, Third Edition - The latest revision of the comprehensive reference guide.
- Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches, Third Edition - An innovative tutorial designed for busy IT professionals. Just set aside one hour a day - lunchtime would be perfect - for a month, and you'll be automating Windows tasks faster than you ever thought possible.
- Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches, Linux and macOS Edition - A task-focused tutorial for administering Linux and macOS systems using Microsoft PowerShell.
- Learn PowerShell Scripting in a Month of Lunches - A guide to the process of developing, testing, and deploying scripts, and the art of toolmaking.
- The Monad Manifesto, Annotated - Jeffrey Snover - Design and theory behind the language from its creator.
- Windows PowerShell Networking Guide - Language specific guide to Windows networking.
- Why PowerShell? - Warren Frame & Don Jones - Use cases for the language.
- The Big Book of PowerShell Gotchas - Don Jones - Excellent guide to avoiding common pitfalls.
- The Big Book of PowerShell Error Handling - Dave Wyatt - Great reference for error handling techniques.
- Secrets of PowerShell Remoting - On all things remoting. Workflow, fan-out, etc.
- PowerShell Notes for Professionals - Compilation of notes and snippets.
- psake - Build automation tool inspired by rake (aka make in Ruby) and bake (aka make in Boo).
- Invoke-Build - Build and test automation tool inspired by psake.
- PSDeploy - Module built for the purpose of simplifying multiple types of deployments.
- BuildHelpers - Variety of helper functions for CI/CD scenarios.
- YDeliver - Build and deployment framework aimed at .NET projects.
Code and Package Repositories¶
- GitHub - Looking for an Open Source PowerShell project? It's probably here.
- PowerShell Gallery - Offical PowerShell package repository, used by PowerShellGet.
- TechNet Gallery - Wide variety of PowerShell code from snippets to modules.
- posh-git - Set of PowerShell scripts which provide Git/PowerShell integration.
- PSReadLine - Bash inspired readline implementation for PowerShell. Keeps history between sessions, adds reverse-history search and makes the commandline experience much better overall.
- TabExpansionPlusPlus - PowerShell module to make customizing tab completion easier and add a library of custom argument completers.
- Jump-Location - Powershell
cdthat reads your mind. Autojump implementation for powershell.
- Zlocation * z.sh implementation for PowerShell. Similar to Jump-Location.
- thefuck - Magnificent app which corrects your previous console command (by typing
- pslinq - LINQ (LINQ2Objects) for Powershell.
- posh-with - Command prefixing for continuous workflow using a single tool.
- poco* peco implementation. Interactive filtering tool.
- PSDirTag - DirTags are relative paths that appear as variables in the Powershell prompt that update as you navigate. Saves keystrokes when navigating folder structures.
- PSUtil - Designed to make the user's console life more convenient. It includes shortcuts, aliases, keybindings and convenience functions geared towards greater efficiency and less typing.
- PowerShell.com - Forums, blog posts, and more.
- PowerShell.org - Forums, summits, community blog posts, and more.
- /r/PowerShell - Reddit PowerShell community.
- Slack PowerShell team - Large chat room dedicated to PowerShell. Bridged with
- platyPS - Write PowerShell External Help in Markdown.
- Invoke-CreateModuleHelpFile - PowerShell function to create a HTML help file for a module and all it's commands.
- PScribo - PowerShell documentation framework what can create HTML, Word, text files based on PowerShell-based DSL (domain specific language).
Editors and IDEs¶
- PowerShell Studio - Powerful PowerShell IDE with module, help, and user interface development tools, high DPI support and regular updates.
- PowerShell for Visual Studio Code - Provides IntelliSense, code navigations, script analysis, script debugging, and more for the Visual Studio Code editor.
- PoshTools for Visual Studio - Provides IntelliSense, script debugging, and Pester testing support for PowerShell to Visual Studio.
- PowerShell ISE - Official PowerShell development environment included with Microsoft Windows.
- ISE Steroids - Add-on for the PowerShell ISE which provides a rich set of additional features to complete the ISE development experience.
- PowerShell Plus - All in one IDE.
- SublimeText package - PowerShell language support for Sublime Text.
- Atom package - PowerShell language support for Atom.
Module Development Templates¶
- Plaster - Plaster is a template-based file and project generator written in PowerShell.
- PSModuleDevelopment - Get started using module templates in 2 minutes with this module's low entry barrier and casual convenience.
- Carbon - DevOps for automating the configuration of Windows computers.
- PowerShell PowerUp - Powerfull server management framework.
- PSCX - PowerShell Community Extensions - Useful set of additional cmdlets.
- PSFramework - Easily add configurations, logging and more to your own PowerShell module.
- PowershellGet - PowerShellGet is the Package Manager for PowerShell. Packages are available on PowerShellGallery.
- PsGet - Set of commands to install modules from central directory, local file or from the web.
- Chocolatey - The package manager for Windows. The sane way to manage software on Windows.
- GitLab - Use a GitLab server as Package Provider.
- PoshRSJob - Provides an alternative to PSjobs with greater performance and less overhead to run commands in the background.
- Invoke-Parallel - This function will take in a script or scriptblock, and run it against specified objects(s) in parallel.
- PowerScripting - Weekly show run by Jon Walz and Hal Rottenberg.
- The PowerShell News Podcast - This podcast is the latest news on PowerShell.
- File System Security - Allows a much easier management of permissions on files and folders.
- PowerShellArsenal - Module used to aid a reverse engineer.
- PowerTools - Collection of projects with a focus on offensive operations.
- PowerForensics - Popular live disk forensics platform for windows.
- PowerSploit - Post-exploitation framework.
- PowerShellEmpire - Post-exploitation agent.
- PSReflect - Easily define in-memory enums, structs, and Win32 functions in PowerShell. Useful for attacks, example.
- BloodHound - Easily identify highly complex attack paths that would otherwise be impossible to quickly identify.
- Nishang - Enables scripting for red team, penetration testing, and offensive security.
- Pester - Powershell BDD style testing framework.
- Format-Pester - Powershell module for documenting Pester's results - exports Pester results to HTML, Word, text files using PScribo.
- Oh-My-Posh - Tons of beautiful theme that can be enabled by one single command (includes many awesome powerline theme).
- Powerline - PowerShell Classes for richer output and prompts.
- PowerShell Unplugged with Jeffrey Snover and Don Jones Ignite 2017 - The inventor of PowerShell talking about "the latest and coolest PowerShell features to help you automate and manage the hybrid cloud". Focused on the PowerShell Community.
- Getting Started With PowerShell 3.0 Jump Start - Jump starts series are for IT professionals with no previous experience with PowerShell, and want to learn it fast.
- Advanced Tools & Scripting with PowerShell 3.0 - IT pros, take this advanced PowerShell course to find out how to turn your real time management and automation scripts into useful reusable tools and cmdlets.
- What's New in PowerShell v5 - Through description on some of the exciting new features in PowerShell version 5.0.
- PowerShell Open Source Project - Collection of videos thoroughly demonstrate how PowerShell open source project runs on Linux.
- PowerShell on Linux and Open Source - Brief introduction to PowerShell open source project and how it runs on linux.
- PowerShell - This show will include videos talking about the PowerShell automation platform, Desired State Configuration (DSC), infrastructure as code, and related concepts!! These videos are created by Trevor Sullivan, a Microsoft MVP for Windows PowerShell.
- Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches - Don Jones - Video companion to the book of the same title.
- Best Practices for Script Design - Don Jones - Don Jones discusses script design principles and best practices.
- PowerShell Toolmaking (1 of 3) - Don Jones - Toolmaking (1 of 3) - Don Jones.
- PowerShell Toolmaking (2 of 3) - Don Jones - Toolmaking (2 of 3) - Don Jones.
- PowerShell Toolmaking (3 of 3) - Don Jones - Toolmaking (3 of 3) - Don Jones.
- Sophisticated Techniques of Plain Text Parsing - Tobias Weltner - Great reference for text parsing.
- Monad Manifesto Revisited - Jeffrey Snover - Jeffrey Snover reflects on the beginnings of the language and where it's going.
- AD Forensics with PowerShell - Ashley McGlone - A lot of AD related scripting and analysis techniques.
- Windows PowerShell What's New in V2 - SAPIEN - Old but gold. Most of this is still very relevant.
- All Things Microsoft PowerShell - Another general language reference.
- Flancy - Web microframework for Windows PowerShell.
- Pode - Pode is a Cross-Platform PowerShell framework for creating web servers to host REST APIs, Web Sites, and TCP/SMTP Servers.
- Polaris - A cross-platform, minimalist web framework for PowerShell.
- WebCommander - Run scripts and view results, in a friendly web GUI or via a web service.
- AutoSPInstaller - Automated SharePoint 2010-2019 installation script.
- Client-side SharePoint - API for SharePoint 2010, 2013 and Online.
- SPReplicator - SPReplicator helps replicate SharePoint list data to/from CSV, SQL Server, SharePoint itself and more.
- dbatools - Helps SQL Server Pros be more productive with instance migrations and much more.
- DbgShell - A PowerShell front-end for the Windows debugger engine.
- poke - Crazy cool reflection module for powershell. Explore and invoke private APIs like nobody is watching. Useful for security research, testing and quick hacks.
- psInlineProgress - Write inline progress bars in PowerShell.
- Graphical - PowerShell Module to plot colorful console 2D Graphs (Scatter, Bar, Line).