A curated list of awesome applications, softwares, tools and shiny things for macOS.
Items marked with are open-source software and link to the source code. Items marked with are free (as in free beer).
- Audio Hijack - Record audio from any application like iTunes, Skype or Safari, or from hardware devices like microphones and mixers.
- Audio Profile Manager - Allows you to pin input/output devices for each particular combination of connected devices. May suppress HDMI displays from being choosen.
- BackgroundMusic - Record system audio, control audio levels for individual apps, and automatically pauses your music player when other audio starts playing and unpauses it afterwards.
- VOX Player - Play numerous lossy and lossless audio formats.
- XLD - Rip/Decode/convert/play various "lossless" audio files.
- Arq - Encrypted backups to Amazon, Dropbox, Google, OneDrive, etc.
- Carbon Copy Cloner - Create incremental and fully bootable backups of your Mac to external storage.
- ChitChat - A native Mac app wrapper for WhatsApp Web.
- Telegram - A messaging app with a focus on speed and security, it’s super fast, simple and free.
- Textual - An Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client.
- Data Rescue - Comprehensive and professional data recovery for a multitude of scenarios.
- DiskWarrior - Recover from filesystem corruptions when Disk Utility is out of options.
- Anvil - Serve up static sites and Rack apps with simple URLs and zero configuration.
- Base 2 - A GUI for managing SQLite databases.
- Cakebrew - The Homebrew GUI App.
- CocoaRestClient - An app for testing REST endpoints.
- Dash - An API Documentation Browser and Code Snippet Manager.
- Flawless App - macOS tool for visual quality check of mobile app right inside iOS simulator.
- Gas Mask - A simple hosts file manager which allows editing of host files and switching between them.
- gitbar - Open source github contribution stats on your Menu Bar.
- GitHub Desktop - A GUI for using GitHub.
- GitUp - A simple but powerful Git macOS app.
- GitX-dev - A fork (variant) of GitX, maintained and enhanced with productivity oriented changes.
- Hopper Dissassembler - A Dissassembler for MacOS and Linux. Has a Demo option for 30 minutes of productivity.
- Hosts - Edit hosts file.
- Iconology - Edit Icons and then Export to Xcode, Icns, Ico, Favicon, Mac Iconset, or a Custom List of Sizes.
- ImageAlpha - Apply lossy compression on PNG files with or without transparency for more efficient files.
- ImageOptim - Makes images take up less disk space and load faster.
- Integrity - Easily find your website's broken links.
- Kaleidoscope - Powerful diff and merge application supporting text, images, and folders.
- Knuff - The debug application for Apple Push Notification Service (APNs).
- Paw - The ultimate REST client.
- Pods Updater - A macOS app which helps you manage dependency releases in your Podfile.
- Postico - A modern PostgreSQL client.
- Postgres.app - The easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL.
- Pusher - A free tool to do sandbox push notifications.
- PSequel - A PostgreSQL GUI tool.
- QorumLogs - Swift Logging Utility for Xcode & Google Docs.
- Quiver - A delightful notebook for programmers that allows mixing rich text, code, markdown, LaTeX, and graphs.
- Sequel Pro - A MySQL database manager.
- SnippetsLab - Manage and organise snippets of code.
- SourceTree - A free Git & Mercurial client.
- Swiftify - Objective-C to Swift code converter and Xcode & Finder extensions.
- TablePlus - A modern, native GUI for multiple databases.
- Touch Bar Simulator - The macOS Touch Bar Simulator as a standalone app.
- Tower - The most powerful Git client.
- Trailer - Configurable menubar Git notifications with accompanying native iOS app.
- Unused - An app for checking Xcode projects for unused resources.
- Vagrant Manager - Manage your vagrant machines in one place with Vagrant Manager for macOS.
- Versions - SVN GUI client for Mac.
- WWDC - The WWDC app.
- Kindle App - Amazon Kindle App for macOS.
- CotEditor - Lightweight plain-text editor for macOS.
- Emacs - Port of Emacs to work as an macOS app.
- MacVim - Vim, the text editor.
- Sublime Text 3 - The sophisticated text editor.
- TextMate - A graphical text editor.
- VimR - Vim, refined.
- Airmail - Lightning fast email client designed for El Capitan.
- MailMate - Advanced IMAP email client, featuring extensive keyboard control and Markdown support.
- Mailplane - A tightly integreted client for Google Mail, Inbox, Calender, and Contacts.
- ForkLift - File Manager and FTP/SFTP/WebDAV/Amazon S3 client.
- Path Finder - A powerful dual-pane browser alternative to Finder.
- Quicklook-Plugins - List of extra quicklook plugins to enable previewing more filetypes in the Finder.
- TotalFinder - A powerful alternative to Finder.
- XtraFinder - Adds useful features to Finder.
- Battle for Wesnoth - Turn-based tactical strategy game, featuring both single-player and online multiplayer combat.
- Boxer - The DOS game emulator that’s fit for your Mac.
- Dolphin - A powerful, Open Source emulator for Nintendo GameCube and Wii games.
- OpenEmu - Multiple Video Game System.
- Screentendo - Turn your screen into a playable level of Mario.
- Stockfish - Beautiful, powerful chess application.
- Acorn - A very Mac-like image editor with a comprehensive feature set.
- Affinity Designer - Vector image design tool, possible Adobe Illustrator alternative.
- Affinity Photo - Raster image design tool, possible Adobe Photoshop alternative.
- GifCapture - Record GIF screencasts.
- GIPHY Capture - Capture and share GIFs on the desktop.
- Image2icon - Create and personalize icons from your pictures.
- macSVG - Design and edit SVG content for web, mobile, and animation.
- OmniGraffle - An app for creating precise, beautiful graphics.
- Pixelmator - Powerful image editor, possible Photoshop alternative.
- Sketch - Hybrid vector/bitmap layout application, especially useful for UI, web and mobile design.
- Sketch Toolbox - A super simple plugin manager for Sketch.
- xScope - Tools for measuring, inspecting and testing on-screen graphics and layouts.
- hacker-menu - Hacker News Delivered to Desktop.
- NetNewsWire - A classic RSS reader reacquired by its original author and rewritten for modern macOS.
- ReadKit - Have all your Instapaper, Pocket, etc. feeds in one place even when you're offline.
- Reeder 3 - News reader that integrates with with Feedbin, Feedly, and other popular services.
- Vienna - RSS/Atom newsreader.
- Alfred - Boosts your efficiency and productivity.
- BetterTouchTool - Configure gestures for mouse and actions for keyboard shortcuts.
- ClipMenu - ClipBoard History Manager.
- CloudClip - Sync your clipboard between your Mac and your iOS devices.
- Dropzone - Create a popup grid of customizable actions that enhance productivity on your Mac.
- f.lux - Automatically adjust your computer screen to match lighting.
- Fantastical 2 - Complete Calendar app replacement which uses natural language for creating events.
- Hazel - Create rules to automatically keep your files organized.
- HazeOver - Turn distractions down and focus on your current task.
- HyperDock - Select individual application window.
- Instant Translate - Translate speech and text between 100+ languages from the menu bar.
- ItsyCal - A tiny menubar calendar to display your Mac Calendar app events.
- Karabiner - A powerful keyboard customizer.
- Keyboard Maestro - Automate routine actions based on triggers from keyboard, menu, location, added devices, and more.
- Keytty - Enables you to control your mouse with a few key strokes. Mouse Keys Alternative.
- LaunchBar - Start applications, navigate folders, manipulate files, control your Mac and much more just by using the keyboard.
- OmniFocus - An incredible task management platform for Mac, iPad, and iPhone.
- OmniOutliner - Perfect for collecting information, outlining ideas, adding structure to any sort of writing, and much more.
- Paste - The new way to copy & paste for Mac.
- PDF Archiver - A nice tool for tagging and archiving tasks.
- PopClip - Instantly copy & paste, access actions like search, spelling, dictionary and more.
- Qbserve - Automatic time and project tracking, timesheets, invoicing, and real-time productivity feedback.
- Quicksilver - Control your Mac quickly and elegantly.
- Rocket - Makes typing emoji faster and easier using Slack-style shortcuts.
- SelfControl - Block access to distracting websites.
- Simplenote - Simple cross-platform note taking app with cloud-based syncing.
- TaskPaper - Plain text to-do lists.
- Telephone - A SIP softphone. Make phone calls over the Internet or your company’s network.
- TextExpander - Create custom keyboard shortcuts for frequently-used text and pictures.
- Timing - Automatic time and productivity tracking for Mac. Helps you stay on track with your work and ensures no billable hours get lost if you are billing hourly.
- CloudApp - Capture and share files and screenshots instantly.
- Jumpshare - Real-time file sharing app with support for instantly sharing code / Markdown, annotating screenshots, screen recording, and voice recording.
- mac2imgur - Upload images and screenshots to Imgur.
- Monosnap - Annotate and upload images and screenshots, supports many backends like S3, SFTP, WebDAV, Dropbox, etc.
- Transmission - Simple, lightweight, multi-platform torrent client.
- iTerm 2 - A terminal emulator.
- 1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet.
- AnyBar - A menubar status indicator.
- APNGb - .apng image assembler/disassembler app.
- AppCleaner - Uninstall your apps easily.
- Arthur - Safely optimize some of your Mac's hidden settings.
- Artify - A macOS X application for bringing dedicatedly 18th century Arts to everyone.
- Bartender - Organize your menu bar apps.
- Batch Image Resizer - Resize a large number of images quickly on your computer.
- BeardedSpice - Control web based media players with the media keys found on Mac keyboards.
- BetterZip - A very capable and full-featured archive manager.
- BitBar - Display output of any script to the menu bar.
- Burn - No-nonsense burning of Data/Audio/Video CDs and DVDs, including copying.
- CheatSheet - Know your short cuts.
- ClipboardCleaner - Automatically removes text formatting from the clipboard.
- CommandQ - Never accidentally quit an app again.
- ControlPlane - Automate running tasks based on where you are or what you do.
- DaisyDisk - Analyze disk usage and free up disk space.
- Deliveries - Beautiful and simple package tracking.
- DisableMonitor - Easily disable or enable a monitor on your Mac.
- Dozer - Hide MacOS menubar items.
- EtreCheck - Output system information and configuration to get more informed help from Apple support professionals.
- Fanny - Notification Center widget and menu bar application to monitor your Mac's fans and CPU temperature.
- Finicky - App that allows you to set rules that decide which browser is opened for every link.
- Flotato - Use any web site as a beautiful Mac app.
- Fluid - Turn web applications into Mac applications.
- gfxCardStatus - Menu bar app to monitor and switch between integrated and discrete GPUs on MacBook Pro.
- Gray - Pick between the light appearance and the dark appearance on a per-app basis with the click of a button.
- Helium - A floating browser window that allows you to watch media while you work.
- Irvue - Thousands of stunning photos and wallpapers from Unsplash on your Mac.
- iStat Menus - An advanced system monitor for your menubar.
- Kawa - A better input source switcher with shortcuts.
- KeepingYouAwake - Menu bar utility that prevents Mac from going to sleep.
- Keka - Compress to and extract from many archive file formats.
- Knock - Unlock your Mac quickly and securely.
- LaunchControl - Create, manage and debug launchd services.
- Loading - See when apps are using your network in your Mac menubar.
- Little Snitch - Protect your privacy.
- MacDown - Markdown editor.
- Mackup - Keep your application settings in sync.
- MacPass - Password Manager.
- Media Converter - Simple (drag and drop) but advanced media conversion.
- Menubar Colors - Convenient access to the system color panel.
- MenuMeters - A set of CPU, memory, disk, and network monitoring tools for macOS.
- Monodraw - A powerful ASCII art editor.
- Mounty - A tiny tool to re-mount write-protected NTFS volumes under macOS 10.9+ in read-write mode.
- Noizio - Ambient sound equalizer for relaxation or productivity.
- Notational Velocity - Store, retrieve and sync notes within a minimal GUI.
- Noti - Receive Android notifications on your mac (with PushBullet).
- Numi - Beautiful calculator app.
- OnyX - Multifunction utility to verify disks and files, run cleaning and system maintenance tasks, configure hidden options and more.
- Paparazzi - A small utility that makes screenshots of webpages.
- Paragon NTFS - World fastest NTFS driver.
- Radio Silence - Simple to use firewall and network monitor.
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client - Remote Desktop Connection Client lets you connect from your Macintosh computer to a Windows-based computer.
- Site Sucker - Automatically download websites from the Internet.
- ShiftIt - Managing windows size and position.
- SlowQuitApps - Prevent accidental Cmd-Q.
- SmartCapsLock - Makes the Caps Lock key smarter, so that when the key accidentally gets activated and you START YELLING even though you don't want to, you can just select the yelling-text and press the key again to instantly fix its case instead of typing everything all over again.
- Soulver - Beautiful expressive calculator.
- SSH Tunnel - Manage your SSH tunnels, tightly integrated with macOS Keychain, secure and intuitive.
- TeamViewer - Remotely control another computer.
- TextBar - TextBar is a tiny but powerful app that lets you add any text to your MenuBar.
- Typeeto - Lets you use your Mac's keyboard as a bluetooth keyboard to type on another devices.
- Typora - Another minimal Markdown editor.
- Ukelele - Unicode Keyboard Layout Editor.
- Übersicht - Run system commands and display their output on your desktop as widgets.
- The Unarchiver - Unarchive many different kinds of archive files.
- Wineskin - Run Windows applications and games on your Mac.
- HandBrake - High performance video encoding and conversion tools with a nice GUI.
- IINA - Media player with a minimalist design.
- mpv - Media player.
- ScreenFlow - Screencasting and video editing software.
- Subler - Mux and tag MP4 files.
- Subtitlr - Drag and drop subititle download utility.
- Amethyst - Window manager (automatically keep windows sized in grids).
- Divvy Window Manager - Window management for tiling your windows.
- Hammerspoon - Extremely powerful scripting engine for macOS.
- Hummingbird - Easily move and resize windows without mouse clicks, from anywhere within a window.
- Moom - Move and zoom windows, super light weight and customizable.
- Rectangle - Easily organize windows without using a mouse.
- Stay - Resize/position windows when displays change.
- yabai - Tiling window manager with focus follows mouse.
- Aerial - Apple TV Aerial Screensaver for Mac.
- Catch - The easiest way to use ShowRSS.
- Clocker - Check time in multiple timezones from your Mac menubar.
- gInbox - gInbox is a wrapper made for Mac around Inbox by Gmail.
- Juice - Make your battery information a bit more interesting.
- Sonora - A minimal, beautifully designed music player.
- SoundCleod - A browser for SoundCloud.
- Spillo - Powerful, beautiful and fast Pinboard client.
- Transmit - A FTP client.
Command Line Utilities¶
- Awesome macOS Command Line - Use your macOS terminal shell to do awesome things.
- m-cli - Swiss Army Knife for macOS.
- Mac-CLI - macOS command line tools for developers.
- mas - A CLI for the Mac App Store.
- Bluetooth Debug Menu - Factory reset devices and more.
- Command Line Utilities Part 1
- Command Line Utilities Part 2
- EnvPane - An preference pane for environment variables.
- Glances - System monitoring tool that runs in terminal.
- Thread on StackExchange
Ansible playbook to configure a development and desktop environment from a clean macOS install.
macOS 10.9 Mavericks Setup¶
macOS 10.10 Yosemite Setup¶
macOS 10.11 El Capitan Setup¶
macOS 10.12 Sierra Setup¶
macOS 10.13 High Sierra Setup¶
macOS 10.14 Mojave Setup¶
- GPG Suite - Full GPG toolkit with easy to understand GUI applications and Mail.app plugin.
- LinkLiar - Menu application written in Swift to help you spoof the MAC addresses of your Wi-Fi and Ethernet interfaces.
- macchanger by acrogenesis - Easily change your MAC Address
- macchanger by shilch - Change / spoof MAC address (random, custom and restore).
- MIDAS - Intrusion Detection Analysis System.
- OSXCollector - Forensic evidence collection & analysis toolkit.
- santa - A binary whitelisting/blacklisting system.
- Shimo - Fully-featured VPN client for Mac.
- SimpleumSafe - Encrypt, organize and sync files with macOS or iOS.
- tinc - Secure mesh VPN software.
- Tunnelblick - Easy to use OpenVPN client and GUI.
- VeraCrypt - Free and open source disk encryption software.
- Viscosity - Fully-featured OpenVPN client, ready for enterprise deployment.
Please consider checking out the pull requests that need more votes to be included.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.